Thursday, July 3, 2008

Promises, Promises

I like chocolate - dark chocolate. So I'll have a Dove Promise or two (OK, or five) on the occasional evening. Not that they're especially good or anything, but they do the trick when I'm having a chocolate craving.

Anyhow, they have a 'promise' written on the inside of the foil, kind of like a fortune cookie. Al and I had a thing about them in Tahoe; we had to read the 'promise' out loud before eating the chocolate. Since she's not here to read them to, I'll save the 'promises' and then when I have a big enough collection, I to write her about them. So here's the latest batch:

You're allowed to do nothing. This is SO hard for me! And even when I do try, I often feel guilty. Why is that?

Go against the grain. Does doing the Vacation Dance in public qualify here? I think I do this, or at least I do this more now. It's rather liberating to not be embarrassed and just let go!

Learn something from everyone you meet. Good advice, unless you take it literally, then you'd take forever just to get through the supermarket.

Lose yourself in a moment. Now this I have no problem with. I love to be struck by something - a view, my kids laughter - and just pause to take it all in. I think we need to do this more often.

Get your feet massaged. Now THAT's something I can get behind! Boy, do I need a mani-pedi!

Age is nothing but a number. OK, I agree.. somewhat. I mean, I often ask who it was that decided I was the grownup - or at least grown up enough to have kids! I don't feel old.

Listen to your heartbeat and dance. New mom's do this all the time. It's called the 'mommy sway' and it's instinctual. Put a baby or toddler in any mothers arms and she'll start swaying. I actually like it. It's very comforting.

Be mischievous. It feels good. Yeah, it does at times
This pairs well with another:
Smile, people will think you're up to something. And that can be very intriguing to some!
It also can go with this:
Wink at someone driving past today. That can be fun, too! As long as you use discretion and don't wind up with some stalker...

Make your eyes twinkle. I love to have the excuse or reason to do this! Talk about getting looks!

Flirting is mandatory. Thank goodness, or else I'd be branded with a big F! I think I'm just being friendly (or gregarious), but I've been told it can be perceived as flirting. It's just part of my nature, it seems!

Follow your instincts. NOT the 2% of doubt in your gut, but your instincts. Now, if I could just learn to keep these things separate, I should be OK.

Be fearless. Easier said than done at times, but good advice, nonetheless - remember, that's one word!

Discover yourself. I think this one is very important. I mean, how often do we find ourselves lost in some role or set of expectations we've foisted on ourselves? You know, the role of parent, child, friend, etc., when we don't feel like we're being our true selves. Dangerous stuff, that. Something I'm trying to break free of.

Live your dreams. Hmmm. Good advice, but difficult to follow. I'm working on that one, actually. It's the figuring out the dream part that can be tough, though.

If they can do it, you know you can. Also good to remember.

Make 'someday' today. I think I've been embracing this one a lot. Talk Like A Pirate Day, Trick-or-Treating, etc. You never know what opportunities are going to come your way again, so you'd better seize them when you have the chance.

Go to your special place. Yes, when I need to relax, I definitely do this. Yoga, Tahoe or Disneyland...

Remember your first everything. Oh, I think I do that well enough. I've been accused of having an encyclopedic memory at times.

Sometimes one smile means more than a dozen roses. Especially if it's from the right person.

Love without rules. Very important, as sometimes our rules can seem completely arbitrary to the ones we love.

Smile before bed. You'll sleep better. Really? You think? But who is going to put that smile there??

Whisper in the dark. I do this all the time. You just can't share a bed or a room with someone and not talk after the lights go out. It's just weird not to. "Good night, Johnboy!"

Naughty can be nice. Oh yeah!

Woo Hoo! That's it! Now I don't have to dust around the little red foils any more! Hope you liked these little tidbits of chocolate advice. As my son would say, "I like chocolate milk!" Well, not so much the 'milk' part for me.

No comments: