Well, today my Glamour Pi sister, Al, participated in her first day of the San Francisco Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. I'd been talking about doing it with her, but my fibromyalgia has been flaring up off and on since January, and I felt I needed to get a few good months under my belt before taking on such a commitment.
As it turns out, I got to do some of the walk... sort of. Al was a one-woman team, walking on her own. They started the walk at 7:30 at the Golden Gate Park, walked around some of North San Fran, and then crossed the Golden Gate Bridge to do the majority of the walk in Mill Valley in Marin County. How cool is that?!? They crossed the bridge twice today! Anyway, Al is quite the walker and likes to be near the front away from the pack. So, around 12:15 today, she called my cell for some companionship. I headed out my door for a walk around the neighborhood, and wound up talking and walking with her for over an hour. I may not have been in San Fran walking next to her, but I was here in LA talking and walking as she walked there. Does that count?
I just am so darn proud of Al! She started fund raising at the beginning of June and raised the minimum to participate ($1,800) in a couple of weeks. She's been training on her own and was able to finish the 26 miles today in just about 7 hours. I was bullying her into doing yoga afterwards to keep from getting stiff, but the poor honey called me and let me know she could only do some, as she had blisters on her feet which prevented getting into many of the poses, much less holding them! What a trooper!
Tomorrow she goes for the final 17 miles. I'm looking forward to talking and walking with her again. She's such an inspiration. I really hope I can do it with her next year. I told my daughter about it, and now she says she wants to do it with us, too.
Here's to Al, a true Glamour Pi, leading by example.
1 comment:
That's very cool. My friend Erin worked for Avon Walk for Breast Cancer for the past few years. It's a great organization.
Post a Comment