Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Reunion!


This weekend I attended my 20 year high school reunion. I'd gone to my 10 year, and it had been OK, so I was hoping the 20 year would be as good. I was a bit wary, though, as I'd taken a friend with me for the 10 year, and this time I was going stag. (Extrovert marries introvert, proving opposites attract!) I have to give all of the 'significant others' who attended my complements, though, especially if they didn't attend the school. What a fun way to spend the evening - with a bunch of people you've never met before!

Since I'd been to the 10 year, I knew more or less what to expect. You check in, you get your picture taken for the memory book they'll charge you an arm and a leg for later, and then you hit the bar to get a drink and hopefully scan the room for people you recognize.

Well, I'd come prepared. Not only did I dig out my old yearbook (heaven protect us from the styles of the '80s!), but I looked on the official school alumni website as well as Classmates. Not one to do things half-way, I cross referenced the people I remembered on the list with the photos in the yearbook, and vice versa. So I felt pretty well prepared to remember who was who - provided, of course, that people looked anything like they had in high school!

Unfortunately, this year, new arrivals had to 'run the gambit'. After checking in, you had your picture taken for the memory book. But instead of going into another room where it was just you, the photographer, his assistant and anyone else waiting to be photographed, this year the backdrop was set up right next to the registration table in the main hallway of the hotel! So you get there, it's a new situation, you're feeling awkward, and you have to have your picture taken in front of a bunch of strangers! Give me a break!

Well, I got myself set up in my most flattering pose and the photographer gets off a shot. Then he (loudly) tells me to 'work it!' Really?!? I mean, I only have so many poses. It's not like I took modeling classes. Wait a minute! My daughter is taking those right now, and last week when we were trying to pick out a dress for me to wear, she'd shown me what she'd learned. Whew! So quickly scrambling for another pose or two, I move around so the photographer can get off a couple more shots. Then mercifully it's over and the next victim steps up to the camera.

Talk about Kismet! As I'm stuffing my receipts, etc., back into my purse, I happen to look up at the 'new guy'. Hey! I know him! We were on the school paper together! His photo session was mercifully short (no 'work it' yelled to him - I wonder why?) I re-introduce myself and we're off for the evening. Turns out his very pregnant wife sent him out alone, so I have a fellow married person to hang with.

What was amazing to me was realizing the dichotomy of people. Obviously we'd all changed a lot in 20 years, but by the same token, we all had stayed the same! My newspaper buddy and I had spent most of 4th period journalism class yapping about anything and nothing; it was the same through dinner 20 years later. That was the case with just about everyone I spoke to - the dynamics of the relationships we had 20 years ago were still firmly in place, as if we'd just graduated yesterday. I guess I haven't changed much, either, though; while I was in the middle of some enthusiastic retelling of some story or another, I overheard an old friend explaining to someone else that I'd always been that animated.

In short, I had a blast and am so glad I went! I'm really happy with where I am now in life, but it was nice to revisit the past and have a good laugh... or two, or dozen!

No comments: