Saturday, June 14, 2008

LA Sight Seeing

I went to the grocery store the other day and was talking to Al on the phone as I shopped. It's obnoxious, I know, but as a working mom, you take the moments to catch up with friends whenever you can get them.

As I was walking around the store, I caught sight of this one woman and could not help but start chuckling. Being in the Valley, you often run into people who are in the movie industry or rather, the other movie industry. Sometimes, like today, I wonder if it isn't a place for ladies from the latter to retire when they're 'past the working age.'

Anyhow, this woman was one of them. It was obvious by the state of her skin that she was of retirement age. Definitely in her 40's at least. However, it was her apparel (and what was under it) which caught my eye - and the eye of every other person in the place. Normally, women's t-shirts have a variety of different cuts. There's the classic crew-neck, boat-neck, scoop-neck, or v-neck. I found a new classification: v-boob. This woman was wearing a shirt under which most women would wear a tank. However, she opted out on that, and, as a result of the missing tank and her 'bodacious ta-ta's' (as dad would say), I was seeing far more of her cleavage than I even see of my own!

However, that was nothing new. You see that all the time around here. What cracked me up (sorry for the pun) was the rear-view. A couple of years back, the trend was for velor sweat-pants, some of which were sold ultra-low rise. This femme was wearing such low-rise low-rises that not only did her shirt sit above her waistline so she could show off her tramp stamp, but her pants showed a fair amount of coin slot - without her bending over! So she had cleavage coming and going!

I don't know why that particular sight amused me so much, but it did. I laughed and laughed to Al! I was so thankful that I should come across such a sight when I could share it with a friend who could appreciate it as much as I did!

But the kicker was after I hung up the phone and went to check out. The lady-in-question was in line in front of me. However, there was a cute young couple between us - husband and wife. He was doing the most amazing job of NOT looking at 'the lady in black' that I wanted to give him a high-five! Now, his wife was lovely; tall, thin, not an ounce of fat on her, shapely, blonde, etc. But upstairs, she was built like a surfboard next to this other woman. The guy came up with what I thought was a great way to keep from looking; he stood between the woman and his wife. This meant he had his back to the woman while he talked with his wife, which also meant his wife would be the one to get distracted and sneak peeks instead of him. Kudos!!

I do have to say that 'the lady in black' was obviously comfortable in her own skin. She'd made a considerable investment in her physique, and was comfortable and confident about showing it off. Good for her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think you see interesting people in the Valley? Try Eugene. The man riding the bicycle wearing a black leather jacket and matching KILT, knee high motorcyle boots with a blue parrot on his shoulder...
However,he wouldn't be as 'stand out' in the frozen foods as the two grooved woman. I guess we should all be that happy with ourselves.

Kiara

Gregarious J said...

You paint a great picture, Kiara. I'd love to see the parrot man. But then again, I'd love to know what the parrot was thinking about the guy...

You know what they say, if you've got it, flaunt it, and the V-boob woman did just that!