For one of our 'girls nights', I decided to take B and one of her friends out for a bit of holiday merriment. We hit Starbucks for fresh hot cocoa and gingerbread, grabbed some Christmas CDs and headed out in the van. There's a neighborhood nearby that has been going all-out decorating for Christmas since it was built in the 50's. The HOA got together and each street picked a theme - Candy Cane Lane, Caroler's Way, and Candlelight Lane. It was neat seeing some of the original decorations, but of course, a lot of homes had all new decorations up instead. Unfortunately, many of the houses were dark, but some went all-out. Honestly, it made me wonder about their power bills!
Of course, there were some enterprising folks, too. One house had their '5th annual cocoa and cookies for charity' drive going on. Another had Santa hats for sale - complete with glitter glue for personalized decorations. When we saw the funnel cake cart, the girls went batty, and, being the cool parent that I am, I got out and bought them one. (OK, I sat in the nice warm car and sent them out into the cold with a $20 bill as I watched.)
The quantity of sugar consumed that late at night became painfully obvious very quickly. I had some carols in the CD player, but all hell broke loose when I popped in "Radio Disney Holiday Jams." They loved 'Rockin Around the Christmas Tree' and 'Jingle Bell Rock', but then the Dog-Bark Jingle Bells came on, and the van started bouncing as they did. It was followed by 'J-5's' version of 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town.' (I didn't know the Jackson 5 had a nickname, did you?) We finished off that CD, singing along when we knew the songs, making up words and laughing when we didn't, hollering 'Merry Christmas' to other cars who were slowly snaking their way through the streets in the opposite direction.
Once the CD ended, the girls had me go back and play the Dog Bark Jingle Bells and J-5's song at least 4 more times. Boy, did we have fun!! I didn't realize that little Michael Jackson's pitch made it almost impossible to actually 'sing' that song; instead, you have to shout it. And the girls shouted to high heaven! They made up a line or two, as well. "He sees you when you're sleeping. He knows when you're awake" preceded, "Cuz he's a stalker!!" (Makes sense.) Which of course made the remaining lyrics shift a bit to, "Santa Claus is going to jail!"
Creative little buggers.

So, to quote Dean Martin:
May all your days be merry, your seasons full of cheer!
And here's a little something that had me laughing until my kids thought I was being killed... slowly! I miss Whitney - she used to do the same crazy stuff in the snow!
No comments:
Post a Comment