(Don't worry, it's too hard to tell the entire story in pirate-speak, so I'll save you the headache of trying to figure out my meaning.)
Before school started, I took the kids on our traditional ‘last summer hurrah’ to
We usually go the Wednesday before Labor Day, as many schools have started back up and the crowds are much smaller. We were lucky and it wasn’t all that hot. We had a great day, as usual. We go to Disneyland a lot, but each time we try to find something special about the trip. This time, it was Captain Jack Sparrow.
Since the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are so popular, they’ve converted Tom Sawyer’s Island into Pirate’s Lair. They’ve added some cool treasure troves, ships and pirate/ghost/skeleton effects all over the island, so it’s even more fun to explore now. Well, the
B & N in one of the Bone Cages from Pirates 2
On this trip, my daughter B’s friend N and her mom had gone with us. The girls had taken off, and the other mom and I met up with my son D after he’d run around for a bit. We got to the end of the island (or as far as you can go) past the old fort, which is where Jack Sparrow sits among a huge pile of pirate’s treasure. We’d taken turns having our pictures taken with him, and then we were trying to reach the girls on their cell phones so they could come and have their pictures taken, too.
Well, there really wasn’t anyone else around, and Jack was bored, so he came over to us and started chatting us up. He took my camera and started taking pictures of us, himself, and random strangers.
Jack's Self-Portrait
When my son was on the phone with my daughter, Jack asked for the phone, and sure enough, he started talking to B and her friend over the phone. Well, the girls started screaming and screeching, as tween girls will, which Jack thought was funny.
Jack talking to B on D's cell phone.
Upon hearing that shy N wouldn’t come meet him, he asked us where they were. When D said, “At the tree house,” Jack said, “Then off we go!” And before we knew it, we were following Jack Sparrow on a search for my daughter and her friend. It was kind of funny, as he’d have to stop periodically to take a picture or sign an autograph, but he was on a mission and kept pressing on. Before we knew it, we had a small group of people following Jack – not even knowing what he was up to. When we found the girls, N ran away screaming, and Jack chased her down! Which included a rather wild run across the suspended bridge. It was all rather funny (although N was so embarrassed that she didn’t think so), and he took pictures with us and then all of the other folks who had followed him on his chase. I even managed to take some video of the hunt and chase, although I’d turned my phone vertical for some reason, so now I have to put it through some filter so it will show correctly.
It’s adventures like that which make me love going to
A Standard Photo
One after a fun chase.
Although we won't be going to Disneyland to celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day this year like we did last (because we've already scheduled to go on the 30th when the kids are out of school for Rosh Hashannah), we'll be there in spirit.
Aarrgh, me mateys! So be havin' a fine time using your pirate-speak, because if ye can't laugh, ye'd better have a pint o' grog and and join in the fun, or ye'll be havin' to walk the plank!
International Talk Like A Pirate Day 2007.
2 comments:
I must add that I lost some 'cool mom points' with the kids this morning. I'd stayed up late writing this post, so I had a hard time getting up this morning (a good morning starts with a good night, after all!) Anyhow, I was late coming out to take the kids to school, and it turns out they had a bet going about whether I was taking them to Disneyland or not! They were crushed when I took them to school! Knowing we were going in 11 days only slightly eased their disappointment.
Looks like you guys had fun with ole Jack Sparrow. I like the picture of you guys from last year in front of the Mickey Pumpkin Head.
Post a Comment