Sunday, August 17, 2008

Love to Laugh!

A couple of days ago, my niece-in-law was talking about a post she'd seen on Sweet Juniper and how it had made her crack up. Always up for a laugh, I took a look. Heck, it was worth it just for the picture of this woman's kids alone! But the post itself was so well-written, I was jealous. Heck, it rambled a bit, including plenty of intelligent references and "SAT words", but she brought it back around to a great punch line. She talked about child prodigies, how she hates them, and how her kids would never be one - especially with her as a parent.

And I respect someone who can laugh at themselves.

In fact, I mistrust anyone who can't!

Anytime I come across something I find extremely amusing, I like to share it with those who are near and dear to me. I sent the link to my husband, but he just didn't get it. True, he was in a bit of a mood, and he finds my sense of humor odd even on good days (my family knows to pause the TV or movie if there's anything involving kids and/or animals because I will laugh so loudly and so hard that no one will be able to hear any dialog until I stop), so I wasn't all that surprised. However, later in the day he tried to return the favor by sending me a link to Cake Wrecks.

I didn't get it.

Well, I got it, but it didn't make me laugh. I felt sorry for the bride who had wanted a beautiful tartan wedding cake and got a mound of melted frosting instead. However, I kept reading the post, including the comments, and found that there were quite a few people who thought the site and its contents were truly amusing.

Not being one to give up easily, I started looking around. I checked out the fan favorites, and before you knew it, I was chuckling along. My daughter heard me and came out of her room to investigate. (She said I was keeping her awake, but she was having a sleep-over, so there was no way she was asleep anyway.) So she, her friend, and I all had fun clicking around the site until I finally came across something that made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

Now, I know everyone's sense of humor differs, and that different things will strike each of us as funny. But I'm dying to know which of the Cake Wrecks other people (especially those I know) will find amusing.

I'm thinking the Naked Mohawk-Baby Carrot Jockeys got me because the humor level had been a gradually building up as I looked around the site. Or maybe that it was just having to do with babies and food. Or perhaps it was because the cake was obviously one of those big sheets from Costco which is already individually portioned and marked with frosting so everyone gets an equal-sized piece with it's own individual frosting-carrot on top. Or maybe it was simply because someone bought said cake for a baby shower and decided that the way to 'theme it up' for the party was to put little plastic babies on top of the carrots. Someone, somewhere, thought that was a good idea!

But then again, looking at the Play It Again Wrecks, someone thought it was good to make a cake shaped like a bride, or a baby, or even like a pregnant woman's belly. But how is it that taking a round cake, attaching legs to it and making it look like a baby's tush (complete with diaper) sounds good to anyone? I for one do NOT want to eat anything from a diaper - topped with frosting or not! And I am not even going to go near the wart-encrusted feet. You're going to eat THAT?!?

I haven't touched on the cakes with spelling and grammar errors. Mare, you should have fun with those. I particularly liked "Time to Par-tay! Cuz it a gril!"

Now, I know it isn't nice to laugh at other people's misfortunes. However, please keep in mind that these same people are the ones who submitted their cake-tastrophies to the site. Thankfully, somehow, they saw their misfortunes for what they were (bad, yes; life-alteringly tragic, no) and shared them with others simply with the hope that we would laugh with them. And I have to give them credit for that.

Because as I've said before, sometimes if we don't laugh, we'll cry, and I'd much rather laugh than cry!

No comments: